- Category: Monthly advice
- Last Updated: Friday, 04 November 2016 07:33
- Hits: 1379
SIMPLE WAYS TO HELP TO CONSERVE OUR WILDLIFE IN MARLOTH PARK
If we don’t conserve the soil we have no vegetation. Without vegetation we have no animal life.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE SWEEP OUR PROPERTIES BARE AND CLEAN?
- We encourage snakes and scorpions and other less desirable visitors to seek shelter in our houses or verandas as there is no other cover nearby outside.
- Pioneer plants (often weeds) take over to try to bind the soil and protect it from wind, sun, rain.
- We lose the fallen leaves which help to keep moisture and nutrients in the soil and prevent over-heating of the ground. They also prevent weeds from taking hold.
- We encourage soil erosion.
Did you know that grass cools the area where you live? On a hot summer day, grass can be 10-14 degrees cooler than bare soil and up to 30 degrees cooler than concrete or stone chips on your drive-way or around your house.