2019 AGM: 24th January

Field Security: 0828281043

HR: 083 775 4409
Rangers: 082 802 5894

mamba75Snake removal:
John Webb 079 778 5359
Juan de Beer 060 665 5000
Read: Snake Removal


Evan welcomed everyone and Peter opened the meeting with a prayer.

1      Present: Evan Powell (CHR),Andrew Hudson, Diana van Rensburg,Nellie Morgan, Joce Gordon,Peter Craig-Cooper, John Webb, Jim Morgan,Rob Farquharson,Uschi Powell, Penelope Mayson, Oubaas Visser,Sandra Dill-Franzen, Paul Dill-Franzen, Genie Retief, Lynette de Jong,Juan de Beer, Lizzy Modiga, Errol Potgeiter

2      Apologies :Graeme Altenkirk, Mel Fennel, Linda Benade, Johan Veldsman, Peter Joubert, Lenara Joubert.

3      First Aid Course

        Evan has received many concerns regarding first aiders and using an AED.  He reported that the danger of shocking the victim is unfounded and it is not necessary to be trained in the use of the machine.  The 3 hours training course for the AED includes CPR. There were no reported cases of being sued for using an AED.  Evan reported that it is safe and can save lives.

Questions were asked if it is an HR function and should HR take responsibility for first aid and first responder duty.  There was great concern about HR taking on a function which should be that of the Municipality and it was agreed that the community, as a whole,should be taking on this function, in conjunction with a security company, who also have trained personnel and can provide a 24 hour response. 

 HR fund raising should be for flora and fauna and fund raising for the first aid should be taken to the Forum and be under a MPPOA banner.  Some were uncomfortable with HR taking over an emergency function and a separate group could be set up with those in the community who could assist.  Every organisation should be aware of the need for this and the responsibility should be for the FORUM.

4      Bush Snippets

Errol has seen terrapins at Gruispan.  Genie had Bubbling Kassinafrogs in the toilet.                                                                                                                                          

5      Forum Meeting – feedback

The FORUM has met with Ralf Kalwe and the next step is to meet with MTPB and NLM to discuss the way forward.  The possibility of using a mobile abattoir had been put forward as there is already one approved for use by SANPARKS.  The meat could then be sold locally.

One of Ralf Kalwe’s recommendations was for regular, frequent game counts. This is a long term project which could be useful for veld management.  The Park is already demarcated into 8 sectors and counts could done be on a biweekly basis. Other organisations could be involved with HR managing and collating the figures using Cybertracker.  Slides were shown to explain how Cybertracker is used for recording alien plants on a map with the GPS co-ordinates. 

6      Activities

·         Bird walk Saturday 6 May, meetcnr Crocodile / Volstruis at 6.30am.

·        Lion Tracking – Photos of both lions were shown, some good but some showed how thick the   bush still is and the difficulty of spotting the lions.

·         Snake report – Sandra had removed an Eastern Bark Snake from a shower.  It had entered the bathroom through an open window.  John had removed a Mozambique Spitting Cobra from an old washing machine in a bathroom.  He explained the behaviour of the snake to the householders, who didn’t have any knowledge of snakes.  CPF had reported incorrect and possibly dangerous advice on what to do with snake bites.  Education on snakes is vital and possibly another snake talk could be held.  Advice on snakes could be also be printed in a black language.

Riaan has removed 1 Mozambique Spitting Cobra, 1 Twig Snake and 1 Legavaan.

John’s figures included the Mozambique Spitting Cobra, the Eastern Bark Snake and 1 Puff Adder.

·         Alien Plant Removal Work Parties

The DEA (Department of Environmental Affairs) will be visiting Marloth next month and will also be at the July Fair. 

Uschi reported that last month 20(17 on one day) different species of alien plants were removed with 91 hours worked.  17 home owners were contacted with 5 instructing their gardeners to remove alien plants.  The Goosefoot on Buffel St will be removed.

One major concern is homeowners and garden services who are dumping their ‘garden rubbish’ which includes palm fronds and some alien plants in Parkland.  More alien plants are being spread by this and are increasingly found in the parkland.  Uschi will collect alien plants from houses since there is nowhere at the dump at present.  Contact Uschi 072 908 0350.

The alien plant of the month is Potato Creeper.

A suggestion was made to choose the most “visible” and easily identified at the time of publishing for the monthly article.  There are a number of plants that are not indigenous,and should be removed.  Some are particularly visible in winter e.g. Jacobs Ladder, Bottle Plant and Christ Thorn.  If they are left it may encourage homeowners to plant these, not realising they are not indigenous.

There is now a Global Invasive Plant list.

There was an interesting article posted on the MPPOA Facebook page which could be shared on HR Facebook.  The Nelspruit Deeds Office was not issuing title deeds unless a clearance certificate was given for the property to say it was fully compliant with all the local by laws which included building plans, boreholes and alien plants.  Transfer of property is being delayed asthe Municipality has no plan of action to deal with this.

·         Working for Water

We are waiting to hear when we will be allocated teams in their new financial year.  A pamphlet on Parthenium is available at Crocodile Bridge entrance to KNP.

·         Maintenance

It was asked who is responsible for cleaning and removing rubbish from the lapa and hides in Lionspruit.  It is thought that a cleaning company has the contract for cleaning and the Municipality should remove rubbish, but after the long weekend, the bins were overflowing.

·         Bush Rehabilitation

WTF have employed workers for bush clearing as LEFPAteams have pulled out, details unknown.   They are starting today at Duiker.

Ralf Kalwe did support bush clearing.

7              Public Liaison – Facebook / Website

Andrew reported the rates inserts are sent out every month, the alien plant and tree of the month are posted.  Uschi has requested the alien plant list be resorted.  If anyone has any articles or suggestion contact Andrew for the website and John for Facebook.

8              Fund Raising

                We received funds from sales of stickers at the Easter Fair.   Daisy’s Den will sell HR stickers.

                We will look at more options for donation boxes which can lock.

John reported that the sector patrollers had distributed humorous leaflets listing rules at the gates over Easter and money was collected for WTF for rhino feeding.  HR used to man the gates over long weekends and we still have the leaflets we used to hand out.  Duty on the gates could be co-ordinated with the others and the security company concerned.

9              Winter Fair 2017 / Easter Fair

The fair committee will meet afterwards.  Plans are progressing.  The date clashed with Innibos festival and it was hoped that it would not affect stall bookings.

Genie appealed for bottles for her table at the fair.  Target 400 bottles.  The bottles can be filled with anything e.g. sweets.  We will ask someone to run the White Elephant Stall.  Genie suggested selling spaces for a “car boot sale”.

10           Finances / Asset Register

Nellie reported on the income from the Fair and payments made including payment to SANBI for a course.

The asset register will be updated and it was noted that the generator is now at Stuart’s.

11           General

The problem of illegal advertising signs was discussed.  Lizzy and Johan will take the matter further in Malalane next week to see if any have been granted permission.

The court case against the owners of domestic pets in Marloth has been rescheduled as some of the owners have appointed a lawyer to oppose it.

There is gas tanker on Bosbok St which Lizzy will investigate as it is a fire hazard.

Rob has the tree tags, which sell at R20 each and he would appreciate any help.

Nellie had a suggestion for fund raising as did Penelope.

There has been a plaque printed for Dev for the tree planted at Gruispan.

There are many street names missing and this has been taken to the Municipality many times with no action.

There was no further business so the meeting finished at 10.10.


Our vision

hrOur vision is to support and assist the Nkomazi Municipality Conservation Department within Marloth Park with their management strategies and objectives while being an effective volunteer group. 
Read a brief  History of Honorary Rangers and the Conservancy

Who is online

We have 378 guests and no members online